Kathleen E. (Splett) Pfutzenreuter
Kathleen assists business and individual clients with variety of tax disputes with the IRS, Minnesota Department of Revenue, and the Department of Employment and Economic Development, including audits, administrative appeals, litigation, and collection matters, addressing issues related to a variety of tax matters, including: audit reconsideration requests, courtesy reviews, personal liability assessments for business taxes, officer liability, residency audits, trust fund recovery penalties, sales and use tax, independent contractor and worker classification audits, certificates of discharge, offshore voluntary disclosures, lien foreclosure litigation, franchise tax, voluntary disclosure agreements, FBAR penalties, profit motive audits, penalty abatement requests, claims for refund, innocent spouse relief, installment agreements, and offers in compromise.
As an undergraduate at the University of Minnesota, Kathleen studied literature and finance. Kathleen enjoys running, gardening, cooking, and mentoring and reaching out to the community. Kathleen has served as a Mitchell Mentor, Page Education Foundation Mentor, and William Mitchell Tax Moot Court judge.
Kathleen serves as the Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association Tax Section and she is a member of the Minnesota State Bar Association Legislative Committee. Kathleen served as the Chair of the 2021 MN CLE Tax Institute.
Kathleen presents frequently on a variety of tax topics, including recent presentations on resolving tax debts with the IRS and Minnesota Department of Revenue, Department of Justice litigation issues, and challenging trust fund recovery penalty assessments at the TAX 2021 Conference for the Minnesota Society of CPAs and the 2021 Minnesota CLE Tax Institute.
Kathleen was designated as a Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2020 and 2021 (you can view her Super Lawyer profile here).
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Tax Section: Chair; Council Member; Access to Justice Subcommittee Co-Chair
- Minnesota State Bar Association Legislative Committee: Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Tax Section: Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for Minnesota
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- Minnesota Tax Court
Professional Volunteer Activities
- Hennepin County Bar Association Running Club, President (2016-2018)
- William Mitchell College of Law Attorney Mentor (2013 – 2016)
- J.D. 2013 William Mitchell College of Law
- B.A. 2007 University of Minnesota
Publications & Seminars
- “Judicial Mediation” – Minnesota County Attorneys Association Annual Meeting
- “Demonstrating Profit Motive” – Continuing Legal Education, Minnesota State Bar Association, Arts and Entertainment Section
- “Tax Law Update: Minnesota Resident Tax Issues After Marks v. Commissioner of Revenue” – Presentation at local accounting firm
- “Tax Policy Update: Overview of GOP’s and Administration’s Proposals to Change the Federal Tax Law” – Continuing Legal Education, Minnesota State Bar Association
- “Complete Lawyer: Tax Controversy Issues” – Continuing Legal Education, Minnesota State Bar Association
- “Collection Cases: Mechanisms, Procedures, and Resolutions” – Minnesota Certified Public Accountant Conference
- “Tax Issues for Artists” – Minnesota Springboard for the Arts
- “Divorce Decree Drafting” – Minnesota State Bar Association Family Law Forum
- “My Client Can’t Pay Their Taxes, Now What? Disputing and Resolving Tax Liabilities” Tax 2021 – Minnesota Society of CPAs MNCPE Conference
- “Three Things – Ask a Tax Attorney” – Hennepin Lawyer Magazine
- “Department of Justice Collections Issues” – 2021 MN CLE Tax Institute
- “Fireside Chat with the Minnesota Department of Revenue” – 2021 MN CLE Tax Institute
- “Important Tax Issues for Small Businesses: License Revocation, Personal Assessments, Succession Planning, and More!” – 2021 MN CLE Tax Institute